Big Hopes, Big Future is an evidence based Home-Start UK programme which recognises that:
- The home learning environment is one of the strongest influences on educational achievement.
- Closing the attainment gap requires strong adult, usually parental, attachment and engagement so that children achieve age appropriate social, emotional and behavioural development in a safe and stimulating environment free from the stress associated with Adverse Childhood Experiences.
BHBF focuses primarily on the “achieving” area of child wellbeing. In practice this means enabling parents to enjoy and see the value of playful and rewarding ways of encouraging their child’s development. The programme is flexible enough to meet a range of needs – from accelerating speech and language development to establishing routines and the social and emotional qualities children need to be able to make the most school. Home-Start’s Big Hopes Big Future programme has been designed to help parents and their children get ready for the important first steps of going to school or nursery. Trained Home-Start Volunteers can provide carefully chosen books and play-based activities which will help parents to:
- Engage with child’s early learning
- Establish good bedtime and morning routines
- Access local support and services
- Support parents to use positive reinforcement and praise
- Create a positive home learning environment